Wednesday, 25 April 2007

ANZAC DAY






We have been learning about ANZAC day. It is a special time to remember the people who died and were injured in the war. We have made some beautiful poppy pictures. The poppy is the international symbol of rememberance, and in New Zealand we use it to remember the people who died in Gallipoli.
We also made some ANZAC biscuits which were really yummy. These biscuits are special because they are nutritional and they also last a long time. They were sent to the soldiers in Turkey and had to last the long boat trip - sometimes for two or three months.
Today we made ANZAC biscuits. It was exciting. We used:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2cup coconut
1/2 tablespoon golden syrup
75 grams butter
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tablespoon boiling water.

We had to cook them in a really small oven! We can’t wait to eat them.
By David and Sam

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ANZAC cookies were yummy. I shared them with my Grandma and my brother and my Mum and my Dad. We made some at home too.
From Hannah

Room 14 Nelson Central said...

The biscuits certainly were good. I'm pleased that you shared yours Hannah - I know a few people who ate theirs all by themselves! Hope you are feeling better now and have a nice weekend.
Helen

Anonymous said...

room 8 loves your art work.
your work is very neat and very tidy. From Sam and Grace and Paris

Anonymous said...

I think the biscits were really
yummy.I am going to make them next
year.from caleb